Monday, July 24, 2006

You ever get that feeling of butterflies in your tummy when you're in Luv?

Yeah, so do I and I totally felt it this Monday afternoon when I heard California based band, Persephone's Bees!

Prince House Records Queen bee, Ann Lee, sent me an email today w/ their link and a little image of the band. Though, I had never heard them nor heard of them I clicked on the link (I trust Ann's opinion on music so duh, why wouldn't I click the link?). Right away the web page opens w/ their automatic player starting (I love when band sites have this feature), to the song "Nice Day". I automatically felt all light and fluffy inside. After a couple of listens I felt like I was listening to a female version of The Doors, don't ask me why (I became a fan of The Doors in 3rd grade and spent that whole year painting my friend's bedroom w/ peace signs, smiley faces, flowers, and suns!).

When singing in English, Angelina Moysov's (originally from Russia) accent sounds like a mix between a native French and Spanish speaker, and to me, it that's simply luvly. Moysov is inspired by gypsy folk, French pop, and British punk, more than enough to generating an international buzz no? I think yes!! OMG, and read this: When asked what her influences are, rather than listing favorite records, Angelina replied “Some books, films, smells, colors, interaction with people and my observations of the human condition.”

Their first self produced LP, “City of Love” was nominated for the best debut album at the California Music Awards in 2002. The word of mouth buzz caused by their live shows earned them a 2001 SF Weekly Award for Best Pop Band, and led them to share bills with Cake, BRMC, Jonathan Richman, and many others.

Their song "City of Love" appears in the 2005 film and soundtrack for "Bewitched". Their full length major label debut record "Notes from the Underworld" will be released by Columbia Records in 2006, which is already getting airplay on radio stations such as KCRW.

The two songs you must, must, must listen to are "Nice Day" and "City of Love"! After you hear them, let me know if you feel the same way - "Persephone's Bees are bringing the scent of fresh flowers through song." - AmyluInLuv

** Ps Bees are performing at Star Shoes in Los Angeles tonight, July 24th!
persephonesbees.com

No comments: