Saturday, June 17, 2006



Since Marcelo and I are djing the Pre-Screening of Larry Clark's new movie, WASSUP ROCKERS I've been looking around the web for Spanish punk sites and I've found a bunch but one in particular that I like is IPunkRock.net. This site lists bands, their history, albums and even has pictures of the album covers from 80s artists!

Today I've got Spanish punk rock on the brain and therefore I'm starting to get misty eyed from my days back in 2005 when I was living in Madrid. I used to go to a club called Barbarella club every friday night to dance to The Ramones followed by Los Nikis and we'd go to the same bar (but w/ a different club name) on Saturday nights called Nasti Club to listen to sorta the same songs + electropop.

One night in Madrid, I went to a bar in Malasaña called Nueva Vision which is the official Ramones Fan Club Bar and duh!, was dedicated to the none other than The Ramones...and Motorhead, haha! The owner was also the bartender/dj (the bar and the turntables were the same section, haha!). The dj only spun Ramones, Motorhead, and Ramones cover songs in spanish. Needless to say the place was swarming with Spanish punk rawkers and mods and it was a beautiful site!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I went to "Nueva Vision" a few years ago and thought i'd died and gone to heaven. Also went to Kike Turmix's bar (forgot the name) and had fun!! R.I.P. Kike Turmix...

Amylu Meneses said...

Kike Turmix
spanish punkrock legend

History
* Kike Turmix was in The Pleasure Fuckers
* Ran Safety Pin Records
* Appeared with "Kike Turmix & No Wonder" on Flattery - A Tribute To Radio Birdman Volume #2 CD (Nomango Records: Nomad/Fandango Records, 2000, nomad mark IVB/FR-016B).
* Sadly passed away in october 2005

http://64.233.187.104/search?q=cache:Ix2osYqC-gwJ:www.grunnenrocks.nl/people/t/turmixkike.htm+%22Kike+Turmix%22&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=6