Friday, June 09, 2006



Today I feel like ranting... I used to think of myself as a late starter in the "music scene" whatever that supposedly is since there are SO MANY!
But then I realized that most of my friends had older brothers and sisters who helped them get started on their music history lessons way earlier. I'm the oldest of three in my family and my music history started off w/ my mom and dad listening to oldies from the US, Mexico, Spain and Brazil.

I started my own music exploration through my most favorite female singer, Bjork. I did tons of research on her from her child stardom at age 11 to her groups, KUKUL (Crass Records) and The Sugar Cubes. Then I got into David Bowie and everything he had done in the past and present. The weird part about it was I didn't get into Glam Rock, just him.

The things that I found interesting in these two artists in particular was that they started their own sort of world that revolved around music, fashion, lifestyle, and art. All the things that matter to me in my OWN way. (ie. Andy Warhol isn't too impressive to me...) I prefer Tamara De Lempika, Matthew Barney and Mark Ryden.

Through the lovely internet (myspace and blogs) I've been going to great lengths in exploring cyberspace in search of music that doesn't exist in the public eye or commercial record stores. Over the past three years, I've taken a fancy to multilingual pop, rock, new wave, and electropop. Bands like Stereo Total, Nancy's Rubias (Spain), Wir Sind Helden, Cristina, Los Flans, Los Flans (Columbia), Los Fresones Rebeldes (Spain), Alaska (Spain), Fantastic Plastic Machine (Japan), Pizzicato Five, and many, many, many more...

I even started a party, Le One Night Stand, that started off being all French Pop but ended up being an all multilingual pop and rock party in NYC. Then I started working w/ a new guy in town, Marcelo Cunning, on a new party called Nacotheque, an all Spanish-sung rock n' roll, pop, new wave, and electro night. I've been inspired to reach hirer and farther than anyone might believe is possible and at the same time I've become totally overwhelmed (in a good way)!! I had no idea there was sooooo much wonderful music out there beyond the world of English speaking lyrics!!

Recently, I've been looking up record labels who support music like this and the ones I've been keeping my eye on in the past year or so are Elefant Records (Spain), Nuevos Ricos (Mexio), and Solnze Records (Russia).

The band I'm listening to today...
Messer Chups, a Surf, Psychobilly, Lounge band that samples kewl horror flicks from Russia. (phew, that was long eh?)

No comments: